Spring

It’s Jacaranda time in Sydney again, and I really need to take my camera out and record what is one of the most beautiful things about living in Sydney. Morgspace has done it for me:

Fallen beauty

I found this post from Morgspace showing a beautiful carpet of Jacarandas (pictured above) – which is the thing I love most – the way a tree will leave a carpet of Jacarandas all around.

In my local park, there are is a set of Jacarandas, which for a couple of weeks every year carpet the whole park with a beautiful fairylike blanket. It’s very quick – this year I’m making an effort to really enjoy it while it lasts.

The Jacaranda isn’t even native to Australia (it’s from South Africa) but at this time of year it seems to define Sydney.

11 comments for “Spring

1. Cee
    November 6, 2006 at 8:10 pm

Aaah, we have jacaranda time in Brisbane too – I love those purple carpets on the footpaths.

2. November 6, 2006 at 8:15 pm

Oh, I love and miss those beautiful purple blooms. My home town is full of them. Ain’t got none in Germany.

3. November 6, 2006 at 10:13 pm

I was thinking exactly the same thing today! to go out and photograph them – they are so beautiful.

4. November 7, 2006 at 12:17 am

How lovely!

5. JenniferV
    November 7, 2006 at 8:29 pm

You obviously don’t have one of the messy buggers in your backyard and hence aren’t constantly tracking purple-brown mush into the house on your shoes (although I must confess that in spite of my bah humbug comment, I did spend some time stalking the perfect camera shot of the purple carpet that used to be our lawn, with all the surrounding bushes “blooming” in purple.)

6. November 9, 2006 at 12:59 pm

Eeh, this is such a coincidence. I passed the most beautiful display of Jacaranda trees in the park today and there was a huge expanse of purple blossoms across the ground. I was cursing myself for not bringing the camera. I’m going to try and go back tomorrow, I hope the blossoms haven’t gone all brown by then.

7. November 10, 2006 at 8:50 pm

JV, I actually took a picture of your lawn the other day, but couldn’t figure out how to upload it to the blog. So I cheated and used someone elses.

8. November 14, 2006 at 12:29 pm

…and it’s technically a breach of copyright to do so. It’s not covered by fair dealing, and it links to the full work without permission.

9. November 14, 2006 at 10:24 pm

Sorry Morgan. I’ve fixed the link as you’ve asked.

10. November 15, 2006 at 7:01 pm

Um, the hyperlink to the larger-size original is missing, so the image isn’t clickable.

This is the link to my larger image

11. November 15, 2006 at 9:37 pm

I think I’ve got it this time.

Comments are closed.